Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beolrad Guide to Turtle Runs

Default Re: Beolrad Guide to Turtle Runs

Never been into the theorycraft aspect too heavily so I don't know if the eagle power regen outweighs the bear shatter arms, but if there are 2 LMs in group and both have bears out, you can have both ancient craft (lowers armor value of turtle) and shatter arms (increases melee and ranged damage turtle receives by 10%) up for the entire fight. I guess it depends on what kind of dps you have in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelin
    We had two Guards and a Warden on the turtle run I was on the other night, but Geiri was keeping aggro for about 90% of the time. It only got hot a couple times, but he got his rez... after that, it went kind of hazy.
    Upon reflection (and chatting with Bry the next day), I kept the turtle on myself too much -- the second acid thing that the turtle puts just on the tanks doesn't 'stack' in the sense that you get more icons on you, but the ticking damage from it gets bigger and bigger as the turtle reapplies it. I was holding it until it was up to about 2000/tick. 1280 of that was getting through my acid mitigation, and it takes a long time to wear off, so the healers have to throw major heals on me even when I wasn't tanking.

That means they aren't healing other people, so while they kept ME up, other people died in the meantime.

Swapping aggro back and forth between two (or three) tanks about every 15 seconds would keep things pretty manageable.

Good point about what the Bear does for the DPS of the group, Moru.
    "It is the way of my people to use light words at such times and say less than they mean.
    We fear to say too much. It robs us of the right words when a jest is out of place."

Quote Originally Posted by Moruilas
    Never been into the theorycraft aspect too heavily so I don't know if the eagle power regen outweighs the bear shatter arms, but if there are 2 LMs in group and both have bears out, you can have both ancient craft (lowers armor value of turtle) and shatter arms (increases melee and ranged damage turtle receives by 10%) up for the entire fight. I guess it depends on what kind of dps you have in the group.
    Nice info! I hadn't realized they had changed the bears attack. I think i will have to go buy some honey and test him out in some solo instances again.

*Note: Old Shatter Arms used to put an 8.0% Melee / Ranged Vuln on mobs (Which reduced their "Combat Effectiveness" Essentially it was harder to miss mobs, or to be B/P/E. This new do more damage think is far superior.

ya i knew there was a reason why the bear was well liked in Turtle, i just couldnt remember why!

After a bunch more turtle runs, have you noticed any more strategies, Beolrad? We had a rather rough time with a couple of turtle runs last night.

We had:

1 WDN
    1 GRD
    2 MNS
    2 CPT
    1 BRG
    1 LRM
    4 HNT

And Azz, do you have any specific strategies for Wardens? I had Defiant Challenge & Shield Mastery traited, as well as all masteries. Started out in Conservation, and dpsing (Surety of Death, Mighty Blow, Wages of Fear, etc.), with War-cry & Goad mixed in. When Nasir's DoT got nasty, I switched to Determination, and alternated spamming Defiant Challenge and Conviction. Nasir was defeated & rezzed, then the same happened to me. We eventually wiped with about 80k left on the turtle.

Acid resistance (I'm up to 5000 on the turtle fight) is key for surviving prolonged ticks if your other tank can't peel the turtle off you - without that, swapping aggro is key.

The best swapping I've ever seen was two tanks where one would hold aggro until the other guy's tanking acid damage was COMPLETELY gone, then the 1st guy just stopped attacking until the turtle was pulled off him, and the 2nd tank held him until the 1st tank's big acid tick was completely gone... repeat, repeat, repeat. It's super tricky to pull off.

If you have an LM, they're probably using a bear on this fight for the debuff it puts on the turtle, so ask him to use the bear's force taunt to get the turtle off a tank, if someone is just having too much trouble peeling the turtle off. It's a short term solution, but it works.

With a Guard and a Warden tanking, I'd put the Warden in the group with a lot of high-threat DPS -- leech threat off those high-threat people, and that should keep you in the lead or close to it, relative to the Guardian. The guard can Force taunt with Challenge to make the turtle stick to him for 10-13 seconds every 30 seconds, and after the force taunt fades, your threat leech and other threat moves should move the turtle right back to you. It's even easier if you have a champ dumping threat onto you as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure Azz starts off hitting conviction right away, and keeps it rolling -- it actually negates the damage from the first three 'levels' of acid buildup on the group, letting the minnies stage-up ballads and get some anthems off right away before they really have to heal much.

If you can get a minnie to drop call to greatness on you at the beginning of the fight for a bit threat generation boost, that's fine, but honestly that sort of thing is probably better used on the Captains, so they can get War-Cry buffs off right away.
    "It is the way of my people to use light words at such times and say less than they mean.
    We fear to say too much. It robs us of the right words when a jest is out of place."

The key with having a guard and a warden tank is making sure that the guard knows that. If you are not traited fist you will have a nigh on impossible task of getting aggro. For the best setup I'd put the heavy +threat dpsers in the same group as the warden (ie hunters and champs.) That way the champs can ebbing ire on you and you can leech threat as Geiri said. If you are sure that the guard is going to work with you then staying in fist should be fine. Also Defiant Challenge is no required as it's effect is rather short. I would suggest a LI with war-cry, piercing strike, and strike of virtue threat increases. Spam conviction and the threat builders. If you fist then the guard will only be able to take aggro if he force taunts if you cycle these. You should not have to worry about hunters or champs. Smoothest runs I have done is with Geiri tanking, and the second smoothest was with another warden.

It is far better to run this in shield line with a cooperating tank than in fist line with a grumpy guard.

On last night's run, I think Kelm did everything a CPT is supposed to, but did neglect to check with Ari on which mark to put on the hard shell, so there's a chance we wasted an option there (just to confirm, my understanding is that CPT marks Do NOT stack in raids, correct?). That said, Telling Mark is a no brainer for the +10% dmg output of all types, when maxed using LI's (otherwise +5% base). But, for the second mark skill, I assume Revealing Mark (dmg-based morale return to everyone in Raid, I believe...or possibly just the CPT's group) is WAY better than Noble Mark (simply adds CPT DoT).

Good chance both me and Ari had the same Telling Mark on ole elusive Nornuan, missing out on some incremental healing.
    Kuzar of Breeland, Kindred M-smith - 85 CHN
    Kelmric Rolindimir of Rohan, Kindred Tailor - 66 CPT
    Mannfredd Bojangles of the Fallohides, Kindred Jeweler / SM Cook - 66 MNS
    Targimoth of Lindon, Kindred Woodworker - 63 HNT
    Markophal of Breeland, Kindred W-smith, SM Scholar - 66 LM
    Keltu Cairnsmasher of the Grey Mountains, Kindred Scholar - 45 RK
    Kelto - 27 BRG
    Farfignugen - 22 WRD
    Linarion - 9 WRD

You're right Kuzar - typically, one cap (whichever one has an LI with the trait boost) runs Telling Mark, and the other one runs Revealing Mark (which is a debuff on the target, not a buff on the group, so it heals *everyone* hitting the turtle, making it a pretty awesome raidwide perma-HoT). When I'm running Finn, Ari runs Telling mark, so yeah, you probably only had one mark up, and Revealing Mark is definitely missed if you don't have it. (In fact, if you're the only Captain, I'd run Revealing Mark for MOST of the fight, even if you have the Telling Mark Legendary -- you'll need the healing more. Maybe switch to Telling Mark for the last big push at the end, or toggle it on near the beginning while you're dropping Oathbreakers.)