Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roots of Fangorn (U6 new instance)

Default Roots of Fangorn (U6 new instance)

Waaaaay in the southwest of the Great River zone; all the way at the western end of the river you see on the map.

You must discover the location before you can enter, so either walk there or hire a captain to summon you down.

Tier 1
    Cave-style.

The first pulls are signature orc healers and elite orc melee guys, like 2 apiece.

Then there's a small sleeping troll. You kill him, it's easy.

Then there's the first boss, an orc-captain. He's got like 250k morale. You fight him, and he'll alternate between calling a messenger add and saying "Go get the others, you scrawny weakling!" or something, and calling two of those healing shamans. Toward the end he starts calling lots more.

Then there's some caves of spiders. You have to beat a big spider to open the gate to the next spider-room. They're mostly like 130k guys but they keep summoning adds of various degrees of annoyance. Each room is slightly different. The last spider-room has two 70k guys with lots of adds, and that's the only one that killed me, so there.

Spider Boss
    We think this is the last boss.

So, it's a big spider with 500k morale. As you fight her, she puts small poisons on you. Meanwhile, roots around the room will "Attempt to heal the poison." The first person to run into the range of the roots will have their poison removed.

At the same time, small spiders crawl in and try to poison the roots. If they kill all 6 roots, you lose. If you engage these spiders in melee, they put a huge poison on you. To the tune of 3500 per 2 seconds. If you run into the healing roots, it'll remove this poison.

Oh yeah, these spider poisons? You can't remove them with Hunter skillz or pots. Only the roots will remove them.

The big spider uses a bunch of inductions, to the point where a Champo alone can't keep up. A burg pulling FMs helped nicely.

Ranged DPS for the little spiders is keen. It also seems to work to have a psycho LM run around kiting things.

The big poison spikes so large than an RK has trouble dealing with it. However, if you do survive, it looks like it doesn't last very long. Four pulses, maybe? Around that.

A big part of the fight is being aware of where the poisons are happening and curing them with the roots.

Known loot includes "Lesser Webbed Sapphire Ring" or something; 90 might, 60 vitality, 300 physical mastery.

Tier 2 - Spider Boss

More adds, more HP, more of the same. No new tricks, though.

Challenge Mode

The "challenge" is to let exactly 0 of the roots become dead. Ordinary mode, you can let up to 5 of them die, and you only lose if they all perish.
    Last edited by Kaelin; 03-14-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Folk mentioned about challenge and T2

I had no clue this was going to exist before it did yesterday and you guys were talking about it.

I was kinda hazy on new instances, too. ^^; And I don't do the BR scene, either. I think someone on GLFF on Sunday was asking about new instances and someone mentioned it, so.

I just figure there should be an information thread for it. A good, clear spot to put information and preemptively answer questions.

I just ran this instance (we wiped twice on the last boss) and can confirm Kae's notes.

The biggest thing is to not let the poison stack up. The only way to remove it is via roots. If you get 2 or 3 on you, you need to get to a healing root ASAP. Also, I don't think the roots remove poisons just from the first person to get there. Instead, there's a few second window in which to make it over to the root and have your poisoned removed. I know that in my group two or three of us at a time were able to get poisoned removed from one root.

On the way to the last boss, you'll run into plenty of very nasty fire wounds. I was even one-shotted by a Defiler because of those wounds.

Lastly, this is the only instance I can think of where I'd actually want hunters running deep into the red line and staying in Strength stance. Those little spiders have to die fast. It wouldn't hurt to have a backup healer, either. Those poisons can kill a squishy class faster than you can blink.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryandt View Post
    It wouldn't hurt to have a backup healer, either.
    This was mentioned several times in our runs; sadly, we didn't have one.

The first trial was:

Captain tanking
    Champ
    Hunter
    Hunter
    Burglar
    RK

The second trial was:

Guard tanking
    Champ
    Hunter
    LM
    Burglar
    RK

We came real close on one run, around 30k to go, but because we were down a hunter, we couldn't seal the deal. The hunter died like halfway through; if we'd kept it up, it would've been a win. Alas, poison awareness was the bane of our existence that evening.

In the shadow of the world's largest croquet wicket.

I want to try it like this some time:

Champ tanking
    Rk/Min healing
    Captain (20% revealing mark)
    Lm/Burg
    Hunter
    Hunter

A healer, a high DPS tank, off heals, and ranged DPS. Optionally, if a Burg is in the LM/Burg slot then a LM could fill in for a hunter. They'd bring more debuffs which we could stack on the boss while also having some pretty solid ranged DPS (I've been quite surprised by what I can churn out even if when traited CC).

Quote Originally Posted by Dankelzahn View Post
    Champ tanking
    *raises hand* Not it! XD I have no tanking gear. I can't do more than 7k morale at best and I don't know where that puts my mitigations and stuff.

Hah. I was actually thinking Tea. She's been gearing up her Champion for tanking from the get-go. Holding agro though would get tough quickly.

Well, I just beat this instance on tier II, I saw a group in glff looking for a captain. So I volunteered my services..

Group Makup was this:
    Champ
    Burg
    Captain
    Mini
    RK
    Warden

The group was already on the last boss when I got there. so I don't know how many times they had wiped previously, but it took us 3 tries...1st time Champ tanked and Warden was supposed to kite adds...He didn't and I got hit by a killer poison then everyone started to go down not too long after that. 2nd attempt we went with a warden tanking, and the burglar and champ killing adds, but that failed, not enough dps on the boss. So we went back to our original strategy with warden kiting all the adds and champ tanking..Warden ended up not picking up one spider and so we failed challenged mode(Save all 6 roots, we saved 5) Towards the end I washing I had slotted Oathbreaker's, the squishes started dropping even after I popped in harms way and last stand..it ended up just being me and the champ finishing the boss as the warden kited the adds. Since I was only there for the boss fight, to any big changes from Tier 1 to Tier 2. As far as rewards went, lots of LI settings, and runes, and a purple caster bracelet with will and vitality. I also got 1 unhatched spider egg. They told me to trait HoH, but I think the captain is better suited traiting red line...the faster that boss goes down the better.

Edit: Important things to note, this was not a average group of puggers, it was a few people I had played with before, but both the champ and burg had 1st age weapons. The burglar was Jetsu, if you ever spend any time in the Moors you have seen him running around.
    Last edited by Blitz; 03-13-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Additional Notes
    Tarabren (Rank 7 85 Burglar Extraordinaire)
    Taralyn-1 (Rank 5 85 Captain America)
    Blitzborn (79 Retired Hunter, Active Duty Scholar)
    Blitzsong (75 Ministrel, Starving Artist)
    Blitze (85 Warden)
    Blitzsworn (60 something Champion of Dying Bravely)
    Blitzy (35 Guardian of the Pies)
    Blitzburn (70 aspiring arsonist who dabbles in lore)

I think they might have been right for that one. Especially if you're wearing the Gallant Commander armor. The adds dying means more RCs, and RCs making sure Vallient Strike is always off cooldown and ticking on everyone constantly. Keeping those HoTs up should help with healing a lot.

On top of that, they made a stealth buff to the captain class -- our melee hots (valient strike, inspire) apparently can crit now. With Relentless Optimism, that's actually a huge buff.