• The Dagor Dagorath

The Dagor Dagorath, Sindarin for The Battle of All Battles, also known as the Second Prophecy of Mandos and the Final Battle, is the last battle in Middle-earth. Morgoth, banished into the Timeless Void will eventually figure out a way to break through the Door of Night which shall allow for his escape back into the world. Once in Arda, Morgoth will remake all of his servants of old, to include Gothmog the Balrog and Sauron, also known as Th˙ and set about regaining his dominance of Middle-earth. They first destroy the Sun and the Moon. This causes Eńrendil to return to Middle-earth from his place among the stars and to meet there with ManwŰ[i], Tulkas and T˙rin Turambar upon the plains of Valinor.

It is said, all the Free Peoples of the world; Elf, Men and Dwarves will participate in the Final Battle. Ar Pharaz˘n, the last King of N˙menor and the armada that sailed against Valinor will be released from the Caves of the Forgotten to fight on the side of Morgoth[ii]. During the battle, Tulkas will once again wrestle Morgoth but the final blow will come from T˙rin Turambar, who with his black sword Gurthang will cut the black heart from Morgoth's chest, avenging the Children of H˙rin, the race of Men and all Free Peoples of Middle-earth to include the Valar. At Morgoth's end, the mountains surrounding Valinor, the Pelori Mountains, will fall back onto the earth leaving it again flat.

The Silmarils will return from the earth, sea and sky and Feńnor will finally be returned from the Halls of Mandos and will take the Silmarils and release them to Yavanna who will shatter them and with their remaining light, rekindle the Two Trees. With the Pelori Mountains no longer there, the light of the Two Trees will light all of Arda. Thus Arda itself will be renewed. It's lands, and peoples; Valar, Maiar, Elf and Man alike shall be as if young and powerful again. The Dwarves will, as professed, assist AulŰ in the recreation of the world.

Following the relighting of the Trees, all shall participate in a Second Music of the Ainur. This Second Music shall bring into existence a new world. The fates of the old races and old world will be unknown to all. The Ainur know not of this Second Music or Second World save that the Second Music will be far greater than the first.

[i] In some counts of the prophecy it is ManwŰĺs herald, E÷nwŰ not ManwŰ himself that leads the Free Peoples against Morgoth.

[ii] It is not actually mentioned which side of the war the fallen Men of N˙menor would fall on, but I have always believed they would fall back in line with Sauron.
    Comments 2 Comments
      69.5 -
      As a side piece to this I would also mention that this Second Prophecy of Mandos was not included in The Silmarillion. As you may know, the Silmarillion was published after Tolkien's death by his son Christopher who had actually worked with his father in piecing together the "finished" Silmarillion as well as drew many of the maps we see in Published Tolkien works. As Tolkien's later writings had attempted to rewrite several pieces of the Legendarium because the stories were a little too far beyond one's expected ability to suspend belief.

A key reference would be the story of the creation of the Sun and the Moon. That story actually went through several iterations and finally Tolkien had decided that he would just leave that part out of the Published Silmarillion. Many times over the years, he had gone back and forth in linking Middle-earth (Arda) to our Earth. Specifically having direct links to England. The character of Ălfwine which bookended the Lost Tales stories is a prime example of this. He was from a more present day England and inadvertently found his way, by sea, down the Lost Road, also known as the Straight Road to Tol Eressea, where the Elves who had not yet completely faded still lived. In a universe that now had science and was beginning to really understand how the Sun and Moon were created, how could you feed them this yarn about a fiery ship sailing across the sky, especially if these two worlds were meant to be the same?

Another decision he had (apparently) made was that while some Men were granted special endings, in the cases of Beren, T˙rin and Eńrendil, he later changed his plans on allowing the deification of Men. Men are granted the most sacred gift Illuvatar has given, they are not bound to the world, they escape it and have a fate separate from all of his other creations. So how would allowing them to become Ainu at the end of the world become a reward instead of more like a punishment, as their fates would now be bound to the world and end with the world. This is why both T˙rin and Beren do finally die rather than become Gods themselves as had been planned. Though T˙rin is granted a concession and allowed to return to Arda for the Final Battle, his fate is not separated from that of Men.

After Tolkien's death, it fell on Christopher to make some decisions about the mythology that would be included and left out. Since the Prophecy of the Second Music seemed to contradict several of his father's later leanings, he decided it would not make it into the published works, but it was not fully purged as there were still references to the Second Prophecy in the final work. He also, in the decades afterward found even more then undiscovered writings, and some more recent than others contradict what ended up in the final publication that Chritopher has stated several times in the Histories of Middle-earth that he wished he could have changed.

So while the Second Prophecy is not official published cannon, I absolutely include it into my personal version of the Legendarium. If not for it's existence, I do not think I could bear ever reading the Children of H˙rin again.
      capnhoppy -
      Me too. In the Middle Earth in my brain, Turin returns seeking his revenge. Also in my brain, he's not alone. Many of the slain heroes return with Turin as their captain.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO